Banshee Bikes New Zealand contacted mikesimagination.net having been looking for an online custom bicycle builder application for quite some time. The invaluable input and insights from the director of Banshee Bikes NZ/3Sixty Sports as regards component compatibilty and standards, and vision for the configurator helped make this edition of the online configurator the most capable ever.
The cycling world, and mountain bikes in particular, is beset with multiple standards that affect component compatibility in many ways - between components in a group, between groups, and globally. As a consequence of that other similar web applications to date have not been able to offer a truly comprehensive user experience that does not limit the customer in any way - rather the usual solution is that components must be laboriously grouped together and the configurator forces the user along particular path with very limited options. This application solves all of those problems and offers maximal flexibility that allows a user access to all products in the catalogue and then calculates product inter-compatibility on the fly as the user makes their selections. It even permits multiple paths through the configurator, for example allowing choices been a complete wheelset or choosing components for a custom wheel build. Similarly for groupsets - a user can choose to have a complete factory group or choose their own groupset components. All of these relationships are definable via the admin tools without having to set component compatibility on a product by product basis, thus allowing a larger number of products to be presented - in this instance almost 600 products or product variants are available to the user at once.
It works beautifully! Awesome working with you and long may it continue!
Bruce Davey, Director, 3Sixty Sports, New Zealand
In this instance the configurator needed to be displayed in the context of an existing parent Wordpress site so while it is not part of the wordpress install it uses the woordpress header, menus, footer and so on such that it appears to be a part of the main site but is not limited by the architectural and performance constraints of having to build within a wordpress context. The configurator can also be set up as a standalone website/app, or as a module for our e-commerce platform.
Each instance of the configurator app can be customised to precisely suit the needs of a business but in summary the key features are as follows:
- Make all products available to a user at once.
- Permit the user to start a build at any point - they do not need to start with a particular category.
- Allow the user to choose the options available to them as they begin a build, eg custom wheel build or factory wheelset.
- Change the options available during a build without affecting other choices already made.
- No limit to the number of products and product categories that can be defined.
- Calculates component compatibility in real time as the user makes selections.
- Allow the user to view or hide components that are incompatible with the choices they make.
- Allow the user to sort components based on price, brand or any other definable parameter.
- Allow users to choose to omit certain components from a build, or use their own, based on the product category.
- Allow users to save their completed builds.
- Completed builds can be shared on social media with images representative of the completed build.
- Users can ask questions about their builds prior to making a purchase decision.
- Finance calculator allows users to define their own flexible finance deal before applying for finance via the app.
- A full suite of admin tools is available for capturing customer builds and their contact information for follow up marketing.
- Define discounts on components that form part of a complete build, either individually at the component level, at the category level or globally.
- Simple and intuitive admin interface with drag and drop tools for defining and managing products, categories and compatibility relationships.
- Fully responsive for mobiles and tablets as well as desktop machines.